Regulations and authorities
A very useful site is that of the World Health Organisation (WHO) which can be accessed and gives the microbiological criteria, etc. information for a very large number of countries (WHO).
Other sources of information are:
- Codex Alimentarius Commission
- World Health Organisation
- European Food Safety Authority (EFSA)
- Food Standards Agency (UK)
- Health Protection Agency (UK; replaces PHLS)
- Food and Drug Administration (USA)
One topic which I have not covered in the need for more data scientists in food safety and risk assessment. These days there are a plethora of databases and predictive software. These need to be combined with our increasing knowledge of the 'gut microbiome - brain - immune system' axis in order to predict the affect of what we eat on our health, in particular pre- and probiotics and other 'functional foods'.